Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Dark Side of Hello Kitty


That odd mouthless face, that red bow...there's a certain je ne sais quoi about Hello Kitty's Japanese cuteness that has endeared her to Lolitas everywhere (and Goth girls too, don't ask me why). While HK and Sanrio and not Lolita, they've had a lot of crossover, like Gloomy Bear and other characters. Hello Kitty has even taken some dives into other alt. fashions besides lolita, like Punk and Mod. But what I really can't resist is when Hello Kitty goes to the dark side! Gothic Lolita focuses on elegance over cuteness, but sometimes one needs a little silly, girly infusion in their life.
Here are examples of my favorite Hello Kitty taking a walk on the spooky side.


Tarina Tarantino Jewelry


A touch of elegance, a splash of pink and a whole lot of cute! In her little cameo setting,  Miss HK is perfectly accessorized with a skull headbow, parasol and fleur dis lis JSK. I own a long "Baroque" necklace from this collection and am dying to get more pieces, especially a ring.
The online jewelry store Regencies is currently have a sale on their collection.


Hello Kitty goes zombie! 


I was walking through the mall the other week, and popped into Hot Topic. Expecting to be assaulted with the usual 80's retro-hipster displays (I know, I used to work there), I was pleasantly surprised to see a whole isle of Hello Kitty. And it wasn't just HK, no...it was a Hello Kitty zombie apolcolypse!
I bought a keychain and a fleece throw blanket (the latter is of unsurpassed fluffiness). Brainssss!

Halloween Hello Kitty


Two of my favorite things combined! Hello Kitty dons many costumes, such as Frankenstein, Dracula, a devil, and a black cat (a bit odd, that last one). Ty toy company (the maker of Beanie Baby) currently has a series of Hello Kitty plushies out, not only including Halloween but Christmas and other holidays too.

What are your favorite incarnations of Hello Kitty?

4 comments:

  1. I've honestly never been a huge fan of Hello Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suddenly I see how Hello Kitty can really grab you. ^^ I love that first bracelet/necklace set.
    You know, the same thing (or similar) happens to me when I see sweet prints in dark colorways. When dipped in black, they go from 'meh' to 'hey, that's kind of cute!' lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I lovingly consider HK as "Our Lord and Master" and "Big Brother"...you can never get away from her and strangely appeals to nearly everyone!

    I'm not much of a Hello Kitty fan, but I like Kuromi and the Hello Kitty+h.NAOTO collaboration

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I NEVER watched a Hello Kitty show but I have a tank top and a original plushie. Everyone loves Hello Kitty because she has no mouth. I like Hello Kitty lots!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...