Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: Maxicimam Royal Rose JSK


So, a few weeks ago, I decided to order from the Japanese brand Maxicimam. Their MAM Maxicimam line has lately received some buzz for their "lovely size" (ie plus size) line of clothing. I came across several coords with their Royal Rose JSK online, and eventually decided it had to be mine! Lately, I've been adding more color to my wardrobe, but I'm still a sucker for a nice black JSK. I also figured that if I was going to be paying the hefty prices of brand, it would be nice to have something with more wiggle room. Since Tokyo Rebel had sold out, I ordered from CD Japan here.
With shipping, I paid about $240 USD.

It arrived within about 2 weeks. Inside the box, it was neatly wrapped in plastic and on a hanger.

 

Overall, I was thrilled with it's outer appearance. The fabric is sturdy and thick, and has a faint sheen with a flash photo. The details of the lace and rose applique are lovely. The lace is thick and cottony, very high quality.


Unfortunately, the inside is unlined and there were quite a few loose threads. Not exactly the quality I had hoped for, but not a deal breaker either.

It is fairly long, I am 5'6 and it goes just past my knees. The skirt is also very, very full. 


The shirring is quite stiff. If a person who was more towards the maximum measurements tried it on, they might have some difficulty. The stiffness might work itself out in time, though.

To be honest, it is less flattering to my figure than my other brand "straight sized" JSKs (BtSSB's Babydoll JSK, for instance). It is rather bulky on top. Without the waist ties tied tightly, it hangs off me at the waist. The bodice is pretty much cut straight, without princess seams or a similar shaped cut. I would not recommend it to anyone a US size 12 or smaller (unless you are very busty, is which case it can accommodate quite well).
That said, I still like it. It is a beautiful dress, with great details. It's just a bit too big and has some inside imperfections. Overall, I give it a 3.5/5.

5 comments:

  1. The bodice is gorgeous. It's a shame about the lack of contouring--I can't stand loose fabric hanging off my waist. >-< I'm glad you could make it work for you tho. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This doesn't have much to do with the actual post but I just had to say, that I absolutely adore your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sary, and it looks very sweet on you. However, how are you even a plus size?! Size twelve is not a plus. I've seen girls who are an american size eight being described as "plus sized". How? You could probably adjust the waist, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they just make lovely sizes? I like the JSK, but I'm a US 7 so if they have smaller sizes I would be interested. CD japan looks like they only have one size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitty, I think that's "plus sized" for Japan since girls over there tend to be rather tiny.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...